Essential Oils 101
What are Essential Oils?
Essential Oils are the aromatic liquids found within shrubs, flowers, trees, roots, bushes, resins, and seeds. These oils, also known as nature’s living energy, contain unique, therapeutic-grade constituents.
Why choose Young Living Essential Oils?
- Young Living owns their own farms where they grow and plant their own seeds (non- GMO), harvest their own crops with no chemical fertilizers or pesticides (they even use EO for pest control), they distill, bottle and test their oils both in house and 3rd party.
- Young Living is the only essential oil company in the world with Seed to Seal Guarantee since they control every single aspect of production.
- Only 2% of essential oils sold in North America are suitable for medicinal and therapeutic purposes, Young Living makes 98% of them.
- Young Living oils do not expire! 100% pure essential oils (excluding citrus) will last indefinitely if properly sealed and stored away from heat and sunlight.
- Most essential oils sold in health food stores are aroma grade oils and while they smell good, they don’t offer the same therapeutic benefits because most of them contain less than 5% of pure essential oil.
How to use Essential Oils
3 Methods of Application
- Aromatically – Diffuse with a diffuser, inhale directly from the bottle, or from the palms of your hands
- Topically – Massage the oil into desired location. Depending on the oil you can apply neat (undiluted) or diluted with an organic carrier oil of your choice.
- Internally – Add to a glass of water and drink, or drop oil into an empty capsule and swallow with water. Not all oils are safe to ingest. Refer the label on the bottle of Essential Oil to see if there is a nutrition label.
Essential Oils are so versatile and there is an oil out there for ANYTHING and EVERYTHING! I personally love that I am turning to my essential oils first for preventative health and to help treat certain aliments for my entire family, children included.
I use oils for cleaning my house and doing laundry without introducing harmful chemicals. It doesn’t hurt that these oils are mood enhancing to adapt to the moods of your significant other and children. Ha!
I would also like to mention that while essential oils help our family out tremendously, there still are situations where the Dr. knows best and we turn to our much needed western medicine. I like to think I have a good balance of incorporating both eastern and western medicine.
Essential Oils are not scary and they are not just for hippies. I don’t know about you but I would much rather try something pure and natural to help my kids feel better than turning to a medication that is at risk of being recalled or dealing with unwanted side effects! Scary.
This brings me to my next point… Essential Oils during pregnancy and using them on infants and children. YES! YES! and YES! , however essential oils are not be taken lightly. It is important to educate yourself on a particular oil to know the safety and efficacy before applying the oil on yourself or your child. These oils work differently on each individual.
EO are also wonderful for infertility and giving birth.
Then after delivery there are even oils that can help you with breastfeeding.
My #1 point I would like to stress when using EO’s on infants and children is DILUTE! DILUTE! DILUTE!
You may now be asking yourself, “ Where do I learn more about essential oils? Where do I start? What oils do I use for what?” I would start by joining our one of a kind online oils education group on Facebook, The Apothecary Society. It is here that you can read personal testimonies, view files and photos, as well as post questions and do searches on ANYTHING! This group is amazing and I have learned SO much here. The Apothecary Society is a place to learn at your own pace. There are no sales pitches or pressure to buy anything. If you are anything like me, you will be inspired to change things up in your life and take the healthy road. Please email me with any questions or if you would like me to add you to the Apothecary Society. I am very happy to help you in your “Oily” adventures.